The county seat of Phillips County, known as the “City of Hills,” settled by a group of former Doniphan county Citizens. The Phillipsburg townsite was laid out in February 1872. Until 1888, it was second in population to Kirwin in the county with 400 inhabitants. The location provides a superb view of the surrounding county, and asymmetrically public square is placed in the center of which a brick courthouse once stood. In 1872, Governor Harvard issued a proclamation organizing Phillipsburg as the County seat of Phillips County.
In 1873 nearly every class of business was represented. Anything from merchandise stores, hardware, drugstores, bankers, bakers, and so many more could be provided in the community. Phillipsburg was the second town in the county, which contained an intelligent, energetic class of citizens.
Phillipsburg is located in the uplands of Deer Creek at, 39°45’19” N 99°19’20” W.
Population: 2,512 (2017)
Coordinates: 39°45’19” N 99°19’20” W