Job Title: Library Director - Phillipsburg City Library
Location: Phillipsburg, KS
LIBRARY DIRECTOR for Phillipsburg City Library, Phillipsburg, KS.
SUPERVISION AND DIRECTION
The Library Director will receive general supervision and direction from the Library Board. The Library Director shall comply with all established policies and operational procedures associated with the proper conduct of a public library.
Education: A minimum high school education is required as well as the ability to operate personal computers and associated software on a routine basis. Knowledge of automated office equipment is desirable. The ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public consisting of all ages and personalities is required.
Experience: Previous library experience is desirable but not required.
Physical: The work environment consists primarily of indoor activities. Normal/corrected eyesight and hearing within normal range is required. Must be able to lift and carry books and/or cartons of books weighing up to 40 pounds on an occasional basis and must be able to lift and carry books up to 10 pounds on a regular basis. Stooping, bending and walking is required to restock shelves and to assist patrons with finding their requested library materials. Climbing is required on a regular basis through the use of movable step stools to reach books placed on higher shelves. The Library Director must have a valid motor vehicle operator’s license and be able to drive to meetings, training, and other events.
The Library Director is responsible for the operation and administration of the facility including supervising staff (where applicable) and volunteers; selecting, acquiring, cataloging, circulating, and weeding library materials; assisting patrons with locating materials and using various library equipment; promoting the library through various civic activities; maintaining and organizing an appropriate stock inventory of reading and viewing materials; and maintaining an adequate stock inventory of supply items necessary for operating a public library.
1. Carries out the policies of the library as adopted by the Board; recommends needed policies for Board action; recommends short-range and long-range goals and objectives for the library.
2. Prepares an annual budget for the library in consultation with the Board.
3. Attends all Board meetings and serves as secretary of the Board if required; keeps Board meeting records on file at the library.
4. Selects and orders all books, materials, and equipment according to the Board’s Collection Development Policy.
5. Acts as a technical advisor to the Board and recommends employment of all personnel and supervise their work.
6. Evaluates performance of ancillary staff on an annual basis on their anniversary dates.
7. Keeps informed about community changes, trends, needs, and interests; recommends programs and needs of the library and community; carries out plans for extending the services of the library; and maintain awareness of public library standards and trends.
8. Maintains accurate financial, personnel, patron, and statistical records and submits a variety of monthly and annual reports for the Board, City Councils, the Central Kansas Library System, and the State Library of Kansas.
9. Acts as a public relations representative for the library engaging in such activities as writing articles for the local newspaper, hosting programs, planning and conducting summer reading programs and story hours, assisting community clubs with reading programs, planning and presenting programs for schools, head starts, and other civic clubs, and assisting with Friends of the Library activities.
10. Affiliates with state and national professional organizations, attends professional meetings and workshops, and provides professional development opportunities for the staff.
11. Makes full use of regional and state library services to provide an appropriate stock of library materials to serve the needs of all library patrons.
12. Assists customers in the use of library services, materials and information resources.
13. Accepts and acknowledges memorials, gifts and donations to the library through personal contact or mail.
14. Assists patrons and the public with reference and genealogical services as needed.
15. Maintains the facility in a neat and attractive appearance; decorates the library for special occasions and informational items.
16. Follows legal, professional, and ethical practices when making decisions and carrying out responsibilities.
17. Attends workshops and meetings scheduled by the Central Kansas Library System.
18. Seeks and applies for funding opportunities that support library activity.
19. Maintains an atmosphere of cooperation and good feeling with the public.
This Position Description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The Library Board reserves the right to revise or change position duties as the need arises and reserves the right to change position descriptions, position duties, or working schedules where appropriate and reasonable to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Contact: Alissa Kirchhoff at firstname.lastname@example.org.